Even in this virtual world, we still have to update our address when we move. This printable list of possible address changes will keep you organized as you complete your move preparation.
Step 1: Buy Mail Forwarding by Canada Post
Purchase Mail Forwarding at least a month before moving. You can buy 4 months of forwarding for $67.55. Mail Forwarding ensures tax receipts, government forms, bank statements and bills don’t go astray right after you move.
You can even buy it for another person (including a deceased person). You can buy it in a post office or online. Find out more on Canada Post website.
Step 2: Use a Checklist
Keep track of the businesses and people you need to contact to update your address.
Address Change Checklist
- Family members
- Bank(s) and other financial institutions
- Credit card companies
- Driver’s license/Health Services card
- Pension providers: Government, military, private
- Pharmacy and pharmacist
- Alarm system company
- Computer service
- Magazines/newspapers (by mail)
- Charities (because of tax receipts)
- Funeral home (if pre-planned)
- Timeshare company(ies)
- Power of attorney
- Whoever holds your Will
- Veterans Affairs
- ICBC and private car insurance
- House insurance
- Telus, Shaw, BC Hydro, Oil, Gas
- Volunteer groups
- Health care plan(s) – i.e. Blue Cross
- Health research program